Mit der Teilnahme an der Veranstaltung stimmen Sie der Veröffentlichung von Fotos und Filmaufnahmen, die im Rahmen der Veranstaltung entstehen, zu.
- 04 September / ZUM 150. GEBURTSTAG: KARL SEITZ – BAUMEISTER DES ROTEN WIEN
- 09 September / ZURÜCKGEBEN. Die Restitution afrikanischer Kulturgüter
- 10 September / CHINA UND DER VATIKAN: EIN NEUES KAPITEL?
- 11 September / CONTENDING VISIONS OF EGYPTIAN POLITICS: STATESMEN AND REVOLUTIONARIES
- 19 September / LIBYENS DRITTER BÜRGERKRIEG - WIRD ER DER LETZTE SEIN?
- 23 September / JENSEITS VON KOHLE UND STAHL
- 26 September / ZWISCHENSTATION ÖSTERREICH. EIN HALBES JAHR AUF DER GRENZE
Mittwoch, 11. September 2019, 19:00 Uhr
CONTENDING VISIONS OF EGYPTIAN POLITICS: STATESMEN AND REVOLUTIONARIES
Youssef El Chazli is a postdoctoral researcher at the Centre Marc Bloch in Berlin and the French National Center for Scientific Research working on a transnational archive of protest movements in the Arab Mediterranean. Starting October 2019, he will be a Junior Fellow at the Crown Center for Middle East Studies at Brandeis University in the Boston area. Dr. El Chazli holds a PhD in Political Science from the universities of Lausanne (Switzerland) and Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne (France). He earned his MA from Sciences Po Paris and was a visiting scholar at Columbia University in 2014-2015.
Moderation: Gudrun Harrer, Senior Editor, Der Standard; Lecturer on Modern History and Politics of the Middle East, University of Vienna and Diplomatic Academy of Vienna
Since January 2011, there have been opposing visions of the problems and solutions facing Egypt. Amongst the different camps, the opposition between revolutionaries and statesmen has been a strong one. This talk wants to help understand the underlying logic of both stances, on what they are built, and why they find themselves in such a strong conflict, and how this bodes for Egyptian politics and what remains of the Arab spring.